1. Fear of doing the wrong thing.
– “Oh God, what if I make it worse?” We feel pressure to cure the situation with the perfect gesture. And if we fail, we fear we’ll ruin a relationship or just embarrass ourselves.
2. Fear of saying the wrong thing.
– We don’t want to make someone feel like they’re the source of gossip. We don’t want to bring up negative feelings if someone wasn’t thinking about that awful thing that happened. We’re not that close to a person (i.e. a coworker). It’s not our “place” to help.
3. Fear of not having time/bandwidth.
– We’re busy. Life is crazy. We’re not sure how much of a commitment this stuff involves.
The more we can appreciate the small gifts that we receive, teh more we can appreciate the small gifts that we offer.